This book is available from the Amazon website and has the following features:Focuses on actual, state-of-the-art design/construction procedures as opposed to a discussion of solid waste management issues and to general descriptions and/or conceptual designs.
- Provides an integrated package of analytical tools, design equations, and step-by-step construction procedures for all elements of a landfill, giving the reader a better sense of the necessary site investigation, planning, analysis, and organization that go into a landfill design and construction project.
- The characteristics of landfill containment envelopes and their design/construction are treated in detail. Physico-chemical and engineering properties of solid waste that are relevant and important to landfill design and construction are tabulated and described.
- Includes explanation of how to evaluate and assess potential problems that affect landfill performance such as sideslope stability, settlement, containment effectiveness, and erosion control.
- Discusses vertical landfill expansion; how leachate moves across a liner or barrier under both advection and diffusion; compares the containment effectiveness of different liner systems to the combined advective-diffusive transport of dissolved leachate solutes.
- Includes a detailed explanation with numerical examples and calculations of how to design a gas collection and piping system in a landfill,Â including the collection and handling of condensate in the gas.
- Detailed installation and inspection guidelines are provided for both earthen and geosynthetic liner/cover systems, comparing the relative advantages and limitations of each. For professional training courses in Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering.